People + Planet + Profit
The Box Of Life is a social enterprise and what that means is that we believe in caring for the people and our planet first and foremost, while making enough profits to pay the rent, beer, and keep the lights on.
Here's a quick summary of what the company stands for -
- We purchase our materials from local, small businesses that share common goal of protecting our planet's ecosystem
- The cedar we use is grown on sustainably managed forests and milled locally. It pains us to use virgin materials but we take some solace in knowing that you, the customer, will create compost that will nourish the lands for generations to come.
- All our operations are as close to zero waste as possible and we're proud that as a manufacturer, we send nothing to landfill.
- Our design minimizes the wastage of wood
- The leftover scraps are used to make useful byproducts and art
- The sawdust is used in compost during summer and a substitute for salt on driveways during winter
- We engage with communities to build zero-waste, resilient food systems
- We offer workshops and webinars to the community on vermicomposting
We're always looking to improve our sustainability and social outcomes and would love to do more. If you have some ideas, get in touch.